The Pugapoo Pug or Poodle mix is an amazingly intelligent Pug mix that has been rising in popularity over the last couple of years. They are also among the top Pug Mixes thanks to them having great traits to add to the Pug. Find here key facts you need to know about Pugapoo’s before getting one. You’ll surely want one when you finish reading this post!
What is a Pugapoo?
The Pug and Poodle join forces to create one of the smartest Pug Mixes to ever be created. As Pug lovers, we know a lot about Pugs; their physical traits, personality, and temperament. Now, the truly unknown part of this mix is the Poodle. Here you have some amazing facts about them:
- There are different types of Poodles: The standard, which is the biggest, the medium (slightly smaller), the miniature Poodle, and the Toy Poodle (the smallest).
- Poodles are the second smartest breed right after the Border Collie. This means they are incredibly easy to train; they excel at obedience and are great assistance dogs.
- They are lean and have a very long snout, which means they are agile and resistant to exercise. This goes head to head with their high energy levels.
- They have naturally beautiful curly hair which varies highly in color staying within standards. Also, they are single-coated, which means they don’t shed a lot.
- They are friendly and sociable, which means they can get along with just about everyone, including other pets and people.
Those are all a great part of the additions to Pugapoos!
Reasons why you should consider getting a Pugapoo.
There are tons of reasons to get a Pug Poodle mix; they are one of the best Pug mixes. We’re not trying to convince you, it’s just that they’re great! Here are the top reasons:
- Pug Poodle Mixes are much-improved Pugs: Just like Pugskies, Pugapoos are amazing Pug mixes that fix many of the issues that come from Pugs. They are not brachycephalic in the majority of cases, they have better energy-levels, they are much smarter, which also means it’s easier to train them. Depending on the type of Poodle, they can also inherit a bigger size, which can be beneficial to keep them leaner, and overall better health.
- They are incredibly cute! The Pug Poodle Mix will inherit physical traits from both parents. That will result in a dog with either long or short hair, a longer snout, big eyes, tons of love to give you, and the intelligence to learn new tricks just to please you. This makes them really cute!
- They can get along with everyone: Pugapoos have the calmness of Poodles and the friendliness of Pugs. This will make them calmer, and it will be easier for them to get along with other dogs and people, even if they’re strangers.
This makes the Pugapoo a strong competitor to become the top Pug Mix.
Reasons to avoid getting a Pug Poodle Mix.
As with any other Pug Mix, there are some downsides that you must consider before getting a Pugapoo.
- They can suffer from ear issues: Even though they can be healthier, both Pugs and Poodles are prone to have ear issues for different reasons. Pugs have floppy ears, which makes them prone to yeast infections. Besides, Poodles grow hair inside their ears, which makes them a little challenging to take care of.
- They can require more care than average dogs: If the Pugapoo inherits the double coat of Pugs, and the hair length and shape from Poodles, you’re in for some serious brushing for sure. This can require you to spend at least 30 minutes per day brushing their coats. Still, this doesn’t happen very often.
- Some Poodles can have breed-specific issues to care about: When trying to get a Pugapoo, good genetics from both parents is key. Both parents can have a load of issues. We know the issues of Pugs, but there are some serious concerns regarding Poodles that you must know about, like Addison’s disease or Gastric Dilatation Volvulus.
Every breed has its downsides, but there is scientific proof that some mixes have better health than the mixed breeds! It’s key that you know the issues they may inherit (from both sides) to know what you’re getting into.
Are You Looking For A Pug Mix? Check Our Ultimate Guide Out!
How to buy a Pugapoo or Pug Poodle Mix?
The Pug Poodle mix is one of the most expensive Pug Mixes available. No wonder why because both breeds have high price tags! You must also know that finding Pugapoos for sale and for adoption can be rather challenging due to its low availability. Still, you can run into some well-reputed breeders following their traces and asking around in the Vet, in pet stores, and dog shows. After a while, you should be closer to find one.
Finally, make sure to follow our tips on how to buy a Pug puppy, and also to get plenty of information from the breeder about the dog’s backgrounds. That should eliminate the risk of getting a faulty Pug Poodle Mix, of collaborating with a Puppy mill, and from promoting inhumane practices from money-seeking breeders.
Are you ready to look for your Pug Poodle mix?